Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I am making a drawing that can only be seen from the ridge across the Bishop Pine Preserve where there are no trails to get to it.

(window covered in plastic)

I am making a drawing that can only be seen from the ridge across the Bishop Pine Preserve where there are no trails.
:
All summer long I looked at houses.

The ones that are under construction. Construction. The ones wrapped in plastic, like the houses were for sale. In a store packaged up. And usually, in a way, they are when they are under construction like that. To be fixed up and then sold.

I do not know yet why, but all summer long I looked at houses, houses wrapped up in plastic and I wanted to draw on a house.

In the bedroom of the residency there is a long window looking out over Bishop Pine Preserve, Black Mountain and the bay. The sun rises over the mountain and shines on your face in the morning. A window is a violent luxury and this window is luxurious indeed.

In October a few weeks into the residency there was a storm. The house started leaking, folks came over, got on the ledge outside and covered this window with plastic.

In a very odd turn. My view from the bedroom, the gorgeouse view of Bishop Pine Preserve was just covered in sheets of plastic... Thick opaque sheets of plastic.

It stayed that way for weeks and was serendipitous, oppressive.

I’m thinking about the violence of windows. The violence of architecture. And following up on my project at Intrim Infills I have decided to make a drawing that will attempt to make the architecture of the house disappear. I am drawing what we would see from across the way if the house were not there.

It is a drawing that can only be seen from the ridge across the Bishop Pine Preserve where there are no trails to get to.


(view of the house from the other side of the ridge)

Thank you Grayson and Mariah for help bush-waking over the way to get a peek of the house from the other side, it was epic. Thanks Aimee for listening to me fret through ideas.

The drawing is going ….. well its going. This is one of those projects that will probably fail. Perhaps that is what I like about it.


(mock up for final drawing)



No comments:

Post a Comment